Address: 57 Sugar Hollow Rd, Fairview NC 28730 / (828) 628-1027
Grass - Fed
About Us / Hickory Nut Gap Farm History: Hickory Nut Gap -- where the highway crosses the Buncombe and Henderson County line, and the rain that settles on the east of the Continental Divide flows down the Rocky Broad to the Atlantic and that which settles on the west flows to the Mississippi -- has always been an important gateway across the Blue Ridge. For many thousands of years the Native Americans lived and hunted in these hills.
The modern history of Hickory Nut Gap Farm began in 1916, with the arrival of Jim and Elizabeth McClure. Newly married and still on their honeymoon, they fell in love with the old inn and the surrounding farm, which had fallen into disrepair.
We are now five generations of McClure descendents on this land. Originally from Lake Forest,Illinois, Jim and Elizabeth were an unlikely team of a Presbyterian minister and visual artist in the fastness of Appalachia. Elizabeth devoted herself to restoring the old inn and its landscaping. On April 30th, 1918 Jim held the first official meeting of the Hickory Nut Gap Farm Company. Wading into the farm work, Jim learned firsthand about the many difficulties of mountain agriculture.