July is National Blueberry Month
Posted July 11, 2014
July is National Blueberry Month here on Agrilicious! In terms of U.S. fruit consumption, blueberries rank only second to strawberries in popularity of berries. Blueberries are not only popular, but also repeatedly ranked in the U.S. diet as having one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings. Antioxidants are essential to optimizing health by helping to combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures as well as DNA. We always recommend the deliciousness of raw blueberries — and we love our blueberries baked into desserts!
Tell us how you like your Blueberries in Answerville or on Twitter! Here's what a few of our members had to say!
- @BiRiteSF - We love to eat them on granola, and in combo with other berries!
- @chefmingtsai - Free form! Toss berries in a pinch of sugar, lemon juice, 2 pinches AP flour and bake
- @BrownDogMustard - On Greek Vanilla yogurt or heat 'em up, reduce, & pour over cheesecake!
- @chefmikeanthony - Would taste great with lemon Verbeena ice cream!
- @cascadianfarm - By the handful, preferably straight off the blueberry bush!
- @ChefMarkGarcia - I eat them by the handful, in my morning smoothie with spinach and coconut water or over angel food cake in the summer
- @chefanneburrell - Pancakes, muffins, fruit salad, turnovers, pie, cocktails... by the handful!
- @ActivelyNW - This is our favorite blueberry recipe
- @AnglinDairy - Blueberries and ice cream!
- @brightfarms - Gonna have to be a fruit salad.
- @BrookHurst24 - When I have extra I pickle some plus make jam, syrup, and blueberry ketchup!
- @CastIronTruck - In our blueberry chipotle BBQ sauce with Bleu cheese on a burger!
Four Blueberry Facts:
- Blueberries are proven to whittle away belly-fat!
- Blueberries improve brain function and can combat the start and/or progression of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Blueberries are heart healthy - high in fiber and antioxidants.
- One cup of blueberries will provide you with 4 grams of fiber.