• 1 large zucchini, peeled and chopped into small pieces (about 1/2" or smaller)
• 1/2 cup(s) almond flour
• 1/2 cup(s) arrowroot powder
• 2 large eggs, whisked
• 1/2 cup(s) chicken or beef broth
• 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup(s) green onions, chopped (plus additional for garnish, optional) $
• 3/4 pound(s) shrimp, peeled & deveined, chopped into small pieces (about 1/2" or smaller)
• Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
• Bacon fat/lard or tallow (for frying)
• Lemon wedges (for serving, optional)
1. 1. Place the chopped zucchini in a colander/strainer and sprinkle with sea salt, tossing to coat. Place the colander in the sink or in a larger bowl and allow to sit for 20 minutes. This will allow the zucchini to release any excess moisture.
2. 2. While the zucchini is hanging out, stir the almond flour and arrowroot powder together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the whisked eggs, chicken broth, garlic, green onions, and a few dashes of sea salt and ground black pepper and stir to combine. The mixture will be slightly thin. Set aside until your zucchini is ready.
3. 3. Pat the zucchini dry with paper towels and add to the almond flour mixture. Add the shrimp and stir to combine.
4. 4. Add enough fat to cover the bottom of a medium sized skillet and place over medium heat. Allow the fat to heat up and then drop 2 Tbsp. of the zucchini and shrimp mixture into the skillet to form the fritters. Pat the mixture down gently so they are fairly flat (do not make them too wide or they will be hard to flip). Cook a few at a time, making sure they are not touching each other in the pan.
5. 5. Fry the fritters for about 5 minutes or until the top begins to set, and then flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and cook the remaining fritters. Taste and sprinkle with additional sea salt and ground black pepper as needed. Top with additional chopped green onion and serve with lemon wedges (optional).