Valentine's Day Tuscan-Style NY Strip w/Arugula-Artichoke Salad
Log In to Rate This
Techniques: Grill / BBQ, Sear
Occasions: Any, Valentine's Day
Prep Time: 5 hr 0 min
Cook Time: 0 hr 50 min
Main Ingredients: Beef, Green Vegetables, Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 6 (2-inch) strips lemon rind
- 2 (12-ounce) New York strip steaks, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 medium artichokes (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 5 cups baby arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion $
- 3 lemons, quartered
- Cooking spray $
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, thyme sprigs, & lemon rind in a large zip-bag. Add steaks to bag; seal & marinate in refrigerator for 3-1/2 hours, turn occasionally. Remove bag, let stand for 30 mins. Remove the steaks from marinade. Sprinkle with 1/2 TSP salt and 1/2 TSP black pepper.
- 2. Place potatoes & bay leaf in a saucepan; cover w/water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, simmer 15 mins or until crisp-tender. Drain. Cool completely; cut into 24 (1/3"-thick) slices.
- 3. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- 4. Combine 2 cups water, 1/4 cup juice in a large bowl. Trim about 2" from top of artichokes. Cut each in half vertically. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon. Trim remaining leaves & dark green layer from base. Place artichoke halves in lemon water. Combine 2 TBS oil, 2 TBS juice, 1/4 TSP salt, and 1/4 TSP pepper in a large bowl; stir with whisk. Thinly vertically slice artichokes. Add sliced artichokes, arugula, and thinly vertically sliced onion to bowl; toss gently to combine.
- 5. Place steak, potato slices, & lemons on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill steak 4 mins ea side or as desired. Grill potatoes for 3 mins on ea side or until tender. Grill lemons for 2 mins on ea cut side. Let the steak stand for 5 mins. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- 6. Place 4 potato slices on ea of 6 plates. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 TSP salt, remaining 1/4 TSP black pepper, & thyme leaves. Place 1 cup arugula mixture on ea plate, and top each serving with 4 TSP cheese. Arrange 3 OZ steak on ea each serving, & drizzle evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining 2 TBS lemon juice. Serve with grilled lemon.
Great recipe for a Valentines Dinner with the family or cut down on the ingredients for a dinner for two. Wine Match: Brazin Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel ($16) a big, juicy wine loaded with vanilla, dark fruit, spice, and acidity to balance the lemony tang of the Tuscan-Style New York Strip.