Gluten-Free Pear Chocolate Galette
Log In to Rate This
Occasions: Cocktail Party, Harvest, Picnic
Prep Time: 0 hr 30 min
Cook Time: 0 hr 40 min
Main Ingredients: Chocolate, Fruit
Sourced: Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Flour / Hillcrest Orchard / Freddy Guys Hazelnuts
- One 16 oz. package Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Flour
- 12 tablespoons very cold butter
- 8 tablespoons solid shortening, very cold
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 small egg
- 1 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 Amaretti cookies, finely crushed
- 4 large Bosc pears, ripe but slightly firm
- 3 tablespoons toasted and husked hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Portion out the butter and shortening and freeze 15 minutes. Put flour, butter and shortening into Cuisinart and pulse 10 times. Stop motor and sprinkle 8 tablespoons over mixture. Pulse again until flour holds together when pinched in your palm. Pour onto work surface, bring dough together into a ball, and cut in half. Press each half into a 6-8 inch disc, wrap in saran and refrigerate 1 hour. Don't worry if the dough still seems a bit crumbly. It will meld in the frig. (Note: Since the mixture was still crumbly at 6 tablespoons water, I took the package suggestion and added the two additional tablespoons). With this step, the dough held together more firmly when I needed to transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Line unrimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel, quarter, and core pears. Cut each quarter lengthwise into 3-4 slices. Set aside.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Place large piece of saran wrap over dough and roll into 12-14” circle. Press splits together and carefully roll dough onto rolling pin. Transfer onto parchment-lined sheet.
- Whisk egg and cream in small bowl. Brush center of dough with egg wash, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle on finely ground Amaretti cookies.
- Place pear slices in overlapping circles atop crumbs, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle hazelnuts and chocolate. Fold dough border over filling to form 11- or 12-inch round, pleating loosely. Brush crust with glaze; sprinkle with baking sugar.
- Bake until crust is deep golden and pears are tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to rack. Let cool for 5 minutes. Slide parchment and galette onto large cooling rack. When cool, slide galette onto serving plate.
- Serve lukewarm or at room temperature.
Handle pastry carefully as it tends to split easily.